Types of Coverage

FHWA Authority / ICC Authority

Formerly known as ICC or FHWA authority, Interstate Operating Authority is permission granted by the federal government to transport regulated freight across state lines. Interstate Operating Authority is now granted by the Office of Motor Carrier Safety Administration under the auspices of the FHWA. Unlike many of the other regulations governing interstate operations, there is no minimum weight threshold that requires compliance. Any vehicle operating for hire in interstate transportation of regulated freight or passengers must have operating authority.

After authority is granted, all regulated motor carriers must register their authority with the states in which they will conduct operations. This is done through the Single State Registration System (38 states participate in this program) and is known as SSRS registration. If your base state is a non-participating state, then application is made through a neighboring state that belongs to the SSRS. Only after you receive an RS-3 receipt as proof of your SSRS filing are you legal to operate in interstate commerce.

Any regulated freight that is transported wholly within state lines (pickup and deliver same load without crossing state lines) is considered intrastate carriage or point to point and is controlled on the state level. Permission to conduct this type of operation is known as Intrastate Authority. Most intrastate operations require registration with the state(s) where these operations take place.

DOT Numbers

All motor carriers operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle in interstate or foreign commerce must be assigned & display a USDOT Number before interstate operations begin. This includes all interstate private, exempt, for hire and passenger motor carriers.

Broker Bonds

A property broker must have a surety bond or trust agreement in effect for $10,000. The FMCSA will not issue a property broker license until a surety bond or trust is in effect. The broker license shall remain in effect only as long as a surety bond or trust is kept in effect. Keeping the bond or trust in effect is the sole responsibility of the broker.

Coverage Freequote